Here’s the link roundup for the February 2015 meetup:
Where to find the group:
Facebook: Las Vegas WordPress Users Group (Great for Q&A between meetups!)
Website: WPVegas.com (Link roundups and video of previous meetups.)
Meetup: Las Vegas WordPress Meetup Group (View event program descriptions and RSVP for upcoming meetups.)
Feeling confused about WordPress? John gave a quick introduction to WordPress and explained some things that tend to trip up new users. WordPress.com vs WordPress.org, etc.
Presenter: John Hawkins
- WordPress.com – https://wordpress.com/
- WordPress.org – https://wordpress.org/
- New To WordPress – Where to Start – http://codex.wordpress.org/New_To_WordPress_-_Where_to_Start
- Posts vs Pages – https://make.wordpress.org/support/user-manual/content/posts-vs-pages/
- General Settings – http://codex.wordpress.org/Settings_General_Screen
- WP Beginner – http://www.wpbeginner.com/
PushUp Notifications & ElasticPress
Jake is the president and founder of 10up.com. He spoke about two new products for WordPress.
Presenter: Jake Goldman
- 10up.com – http://10up.com/
- PushUp Notifications – https://pushupnotifications.com/
- Elastic Press – https://wordpress.org/plugins/elasticpress/
- ElasticSearch – http://www.elasticsearch.org/
Learning About Our Brains and Why You Should Present at the Next Meetup
You know more than you think. You can help others and give back to the community. Two points for a talk: “This is what I did. And this is how I felt.” People will connect and remember.
Presenter: Chris Lema
- ChrisLema.com – http://chrislema.com/ (Be sure to sign up for Chris’ awesome email list!)
Using the WordPress hierarchy to make less calls to the database, and about pre_get_posts(). This talked is geared for developers.
Presenter: Robert Gillmer
- Query Monitor – https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-monitor/
- WP Hierarchy – http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy
- Pre Get Posts – http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/pre_get_posts
Have a topic idea or something you’d like to share?
Your input helps make our meetups great. Let us know what you’d like to hear more about, any “WordPress mysteries” your might have, or if you’d like to present some awesome WordPress techniques, tips, or related resources.
We all learn from each other so don’t hold back. We even have a form you can use!