Here’s the link roundup for the May 2015 meetup:
Where to find the group:
Facebook: Las Vegas WordPress Users Group (Great for Q&A between meetups!)
Website: WPVegas.com (Link roundups and video of previous meetups.)
Meetup: Las Vegas WordPress Meetup Group (Schedules and RSVP for upcoming meetups.)
Site Performance Myths
Discussion of some myths about WordPress. Where does custom code go? Plugin or theme? Are to many plugins bad for your site?
Presenter: Russ Aaron
- Pippin’s Plugins – https://pippinsplugins.com/
The Many Faces of Jetpack
This super-charged plugin has close ties with WordPress. Is it the plugin version of a Leatherman? What are the pros and cons?
Presenter: John Hawkins
- Jetpack by WordPress.com – https://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack/
- cc Devs – https://wordpress.org/plugins/cc-devs/
- Contact Form DB – https://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7-to-database-extension/
- Floating Social Media Icon – https://wordpress.org/plugins/floating-social-media-icon/
- MailChimp for WordPress – https://wordpress.org/plugins/mailchimp-for-wp/
- Foo Gallery – https://wordpress.org/plugins/foogallery/
WordPress Security (Round One)
Review of site security measures like Limit Logins, Wordfence, etc.
Presenter: Robert Gillmer
- Protect Your Admin folder in WordPress – http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/protect-your-admin-folder-in-wordpress-by-limiting-access-in-htaccess/
- SiteGround WordPress Hosting – https://www.siteground.com/wordpress-hosting.htm#tab-2
- WP Engine – http://wpengine.com/
- BulletProof Security – https://wordpress.org/plugins/bulletproof-security/
- iThemes Security – https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-wp-security/
- Wordfence Security – https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordfence/
- Login LockDown – https://wordpress.org/plugins/login-lockdown/
- Admin renamer extended – https://wordpress.org/plugins/admin-renamer-extended/
- LastPass – https://lastpass.com/
- Launch Key – https://launchkey.com/
- Login Security Solution – https://wordpress.org/plugins/login-security-solution/
- Manage WP – https://managewp.com/
- Infinite WP – http://infinitewp.com/
- All In One WP Security & Firewall – https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-security-and-firewall/
WordPress Security (Round Two)
Help prevent hackers with Sucuri Security. Learn how to set it up and use it.
Presenter: Matt Campbell
- Sucuri Security – Auditing, Malware Scanner and Security Hardening – https://wordpress.org/plugins/sucuri-scanner/
Have a topic idea or something you’d like to share?
Your input helps make our meetups great. Let us know what you’d like to hear more about, any “WordPress mysteries” your might have, or if you’d like to present some awesome WordPress techniques, tips, or related resources.
We all learn from each other so don’t hold back. We even have a form you can use!